Introduction to Chicken Keeping Course
Saturday 27th February @ 10:30 am
Getting Started with Chickens
This course has been designed for the complete novice who is embarking on their chicken keeping career. This is a lighthearted, hands on course which aims to provide you with all the information that you will need to purchase (and what not to purchase), chickens and housing, feed and accessories. It will also cover day to day maintenance, health checks and any potential pitfalls.
The course is TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE and suitable for all the family.
Each course begins at 10.30 am on a Saturday morning, and lasts between 2.5 and 3 hours, with as much time as you need afterwards to ask questions, handle hens, trim wings.
We will cover:
• Why keep chickens?
• Breeds of Chickens (hybrids and rare breeds)
• How to pick a suitable spot in the garden
• Will they destroy my lawn? (yes, by the way)
• The cost of keeping chickens
• What accessories do they need (feeders, drinkers etc)
• Feeders / Drinkers – what to look for and what to avoid
• How to hold a chicken
• Settling them into their new home
• Daily, weekly and seasonal care
• How and what to feed your hens
• General health tips and what to look out for (red mites, live and worms)
• Wing clipping
• The pecking order, broodiness and moulting
• Introducing new hens at a later date
• Chicken food and leftovers from the kitchen – what you can and can\’t feed
• Cleaning the coop
• What you do when you go away
• The vet and dispatching….
• Children over 6yrs old are more than welcome (and are free)
• Our centre is accessible for wheelchairs
• There will be lots of opportunity for you to ask as many questions as you like
To Book please call 07824393517